Thursday, August 28, 2008

Coulrophobia

A fear of clowns.

I just self diagnosed myself with coulrophobia because I have an abnormal fear of clowns. I have my whole life. This is nothing new, now I just have a professional name for it.

Wikopedia gave me this thrilling definition...

"Coulrophobia is an abnormal or exaggerated fear of clowns. The term is common, but it does not appear to be used in psychology. [1]It is not uncommon among children, but is also sometimes found in teenagers and adults as well. Sufferers sometimes acquire a fear of clowns after having a bad experience with one personally, or seeing a sinister portrayal of one in the media. A design study carried out by the University of Sheffield found that children are frightened by clown-themed décor in hospitals.[2] This fear can arise from seeing a clown in person, or in pictures. "

You have to know that NONE of these things ever happened to me. I guess I don't like them because I don't understand there purpose. Why would you willingly dress up in huge clothes, where abnormally huge shoes, paint your face white and walk around at events where little children are bound to be entertained by you? I have no answers.

And I have no clue. I never want to be a clown.

And I sure don't like encountering them.

What is something silly you are afraid of? Do you have an odd phobia?

Lindsee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been afraid of clowns. My aunt was a clown, and she made balloons at Mountasia, so she gave us tons of free Mountasia tokens and ride tickets. I think she worked at Fuddruckers sometimes too. Who could be afraid of someone who gives you tons of free Mountasia stuff (not to mention someone who's your own flesh and blood!)? Sometimes, we got to see her put all her makeup on too. I always liked the clown nose :) I have lots of good memories of clowns and Mountasia :)

OK, so that wasn't one of your questions, but I thought I'd say it anyway :) A silly fear or odd phobia? Hm... I can't think of any right now, but if I do, I'll leave another comment :)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I haven't ever been afraid of clowns either.

And I feel the same as Jackielyn. Can't think of anything really silly that I'm afraid of. But if I think of anything, I'll let you know...

Anonymous said...

Oh, sorry, and I'm Sarah!! Forgot to put that on my last post